Land use planning seeks to provide for the orderly and sustainable use, development, protection and conservation of land.  

The Tasmanian Planning Scheme provides a consistent set of rules and requirements in relation to the manner in which all land in Tasmania may be used or developed.

Council is responsible for statutory and strategic land use and development, which includes assessing applications for changes to use and development of land in Burnie.

Do I need a Land Use and Development Permit?  If you are hoping to develop your land, establish a new use or change the way it is predominantly used, you may require what is often referred to as a planning permit.


Give our friendly Planning Officers a call on 03 6430 5700 in the first instance, they can advise if you will need a permit and if so, what you will need in order to lodge your planning application.  They will be pleased to answer other queries and provide advice on how the planning scheme applies for your individual site, specific use or development.

Although an appointment is not necessary, it is advisable to call and arrange a time when a planning officer is available.

Planning approval and building approval are two separate processes.  Often a particular use or development of land may require approvals under both processes (which requires two applications).

If you are unsure about what constitutes a development or to establish a new use, please don’t hesitate to contact us. 

Related Information