Roads, Streets and Footpaths


Burnie City Council has responsibility to manage the local road network within the municipality.

The Department of State Growth manage the Bass Highway, Mount Street and Ridgley Highway.

For a list of state highways and council roads (both sealed and unsealed) refer to The Council Map.

Council's Road Network Strategy provides a road management framework for effective use of resources and which supports economic activity and the linking of communities: Road Network Strategy(PDF, 560KB) 


Road Closure or Occupation

Roadworks:  Transport Tasmania - roadworks map

If organisations require a road to be closed for an event (e.g. a Christmas Parade) or to place a street stall on the footpath (e.g. raffle or information), or perhaps a business or a resident has works to do outside of their property (e.g. painter or a builder, build a driveway) they will first need to lodge an application with council.

There are two types of permits:




Service Tasmania

Visit Service Tasmania for information about:

  • Tasmanian road rules and regulations
  • Car registration
  • Drivers' licences
  • Metro bus services


Construction standards

Tasmanian Subdivision Guidelines and Standard Drawings provide municipal construction standards for use by subdivision developers, construction contractors, design/supervising engineers.

They can be accessed from the following Local Government Association of Tasmania (LGAT) webpage: Engineering - Local Government Standards and Guidelines.