Boundary Fences


1. Fencing between private properties

The dividing fence between you and your neighbour is considered joint property. Generally, the cost of building a new fence, or repairing your fence is split between you both.

Council does not intervene in matters between neighbours over boundary fences. Council will only become involved if the property is adjoining Council land, or if the fence requires a planning or building permit.

The best thing is to come to an agreement with your neighbour. Getting quotes and discussing options with your neighbour is a great place to start.

To find out about your rights when putting up or repairing a boundary fence, refer to Legal Aid Commission of Tasmania: Boundary fences fact sheet.

2. Do I need a permit to build a fence?

The following fences do not require a permit from Council Permit Authority:

• Non-masonry fences (e.g. timber or aluminium) not exceeding 2.1 metres in height above natural ground level.
• Masonry fences (e.g. brick or concrete) not exceeding 1.2 metres in height above natural ground level.

Fences other than those listed above may be constructed if a building permit is provided by Council: How to apply for Building approval.

3. Fencing of property adjoining public land

Owners of land adjoining Council owned land, may seek financial assistance in the construction of a fence on the common boundary. Application for Boundary Fence Contribution to a Public Reserve(PDF, 117KB)

Upon receipt of a completed application, an inspection will be made to ensure that the fencing work is necessary.  Subject to the result of the inspection, the applicant will be notified of the conditions under which the Council will contribute, and of the proposed amount.

More information can be found in Council's Policy: Boundary Fence Contribution - Public Reserves Policy(PDF, 145KB).

For further information or advice you can contact Council on 03 6430 5700 or email