The Burnie City Council provides a short stay (max 2 nights) free camping for fully self-contained vehicles, 2.5km west of the Burnie town centre.
Cooee Point is an un-serviced site with limited facilities and permits are required. A liquid waste discharge point and a water supply point is provided within the vicinity.
Review the Terms and Condition and submit your form online. Your permit number will be displayed immediately and a copy emailed to the details provided. Simply write your permit number on a piece of paper and display it on your dashboard.
Terms and Conditions
1. A Permit to Camp in a fully self-contained vehicle is only valid for 2 consecutive nights.
2. The permit will not be renewed or extended, only two permits will be issued in each calendar year.
3. Proof of Permit must be provided if requested by a Municipal Inspector - this can be either a handwritten note of the Permit Number, a copy of the permit submission, or the email that you receive.
4. This Permit applies for a vehicle which carries its own water supply, contains internal washing and toilet facilities, and has an on‐board waste water storage tank, or vehicle is accredited by the Campervan and Motorhome Club of Australia under its Self‐Contained Vehicles Policy of 2016, and displays a current SCV panel issued by the CMCA;
5. No discharge of liquid waste in any form is permitted within the designated camping area;
6. Disposal of liquid and solid waste must be to an approved off‐site disposal facility;
7. This Permit does not allow for general camping, including the use of a tent, occupation of a vehicle that is not fully self‐contained, or for the erection of an annex or other structure;
8. No dogs or other animals are permitted on the Cooee Point Reserve; and
9. Vehicles must be contained within the designated camping area.
10. Follow required Public Health Directions