Marinus Link Project Updates
Published on 04 November 2022
Marinus Link is a proposed two-way electricity and telecommunications interconnector between Victoria and Tasmania.
This project is a significant milestone for the North West Coast, and for Burnie.
At 1500 megawatts (MW), it has a capacity equal to the power supply for 1.5 million homes!
This historic agreement between Tasmanian and Victorian Governments will result in more jobs, lower power prices and clear energy future.
The Marinus Link will also unlock $7 billion in renewable energy projects including wind, solar and hydro developments - and clear the way for further renewable energy methods.
The plans include a convertor station site at Heybridge.
This 'self-levelling' platform is out on the water near Heybridge.
It is used to carry out geotechnical investigations, which involves taking core samples - helping to understand the conditions of the sea floor.
Marinus Link involves some:
- 255 kilometres of high voltage direct current (HVDC) undersea cabling
- converter stations at each end in Tasmania and Victoria
- 90 kilometres of HVDC underground cabling - 150 times greater than all three current Bass Strait fibre optic cables combined!
- The first 750 MW stage is forecast to be built and operating from 2028, with the second 750 MW stage from 2030.
- Marinus Link Pty Ltd is a subsidiary of TasNetworks.
Feb 15 Consultants Tetra Tech Coffey will survey community organisations, service providers and landowners to better understand…
- Jan 18 2023 We welcome Interim CEO Caroline Wykamp, who has more than 25 years’ experience in the…read more
- Dec 23 2022 Going to tender – a major milestone for Marinus Link – has today been announced…read more
- Dec 22 The potential of a Renewable Energy Zone (REZ) announced for detailed exploration in Tasmania’s North…read more
- Dec 07 Funding agreement signals more jobs to come. A joint funding agreement between the Australian, Tasmanian... read more
- Nov 23 Think your home, your work, your neighbourhood. Now think beyond. Think the state of Tasmania... read more
- Nov 18 By Bess Clark, Marinus Link CEO The value of Marinus Link is as much about…read more
- Oct 19 Marinus Link Pty Ltd welcomes today’s historic agreement between the Australian, Tasmanian and Victorian Governments…read more
- Sep 06 Marinus Link needs to be built ‘urgently’ to support energy market A national plan has…read more
- Aug 15 TasNetworks is delighted to announce four new members as part of the newly constituted Marinus…read more
- Jun 30 2022 The Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) has today re-confirmed that Marinus Link is a critical…read more
Past News and Events