Cultural Centre and Precinct project - Stage 1
Published on 13 April 2023
Stage one of Construction begins
Vos Construction are erecting their construction fencing and establishing themselves on site over the next few days. Footpaths will remain open as much as possible, however, the public should be aware of extra traffic entering and exiting the plaza.
Construction of Stage 1 will start early next week and will include early demolition and building of hoardings (erecting temporary walls in the building to separate the construction area from the BAFC.
Some of the work to be included in this first stage:
- The new main entry extension.
- The café as an extension to the south side of building;
- The recladding of the building will also commence.
- Creating one multi-functional space (Long Room) which includes the new reception and amenities.
- Upgrades will be made to the Town Hall and the theatre balcony include more accessible seating. There will be technical upgrades to stage equipment, rigging and lighting.
- Access to the balcony will not be possible until Stage 2 works which includes the new lift and stairs (It will be worth the wait!)
- Level 2 administration area will be completed.
Access to the Town Hall Balcony will not be possible until Stage 2 works begin later in the year which includes construction of the new lift and stairs (we promise it will be worth the wait!)
Until further notice please enter the building via the Arts Theatre Box Office entrance (west side). During Stage 1 the Arts Theatre and gallery spaces will remain open and operational.
This project has been made possible through the support of the Australian Government who have contributed $18 million of funding to enable the works to occur. The Burnie City Council have also contributed $2 million from its capital works program in order to see our vision realised for the cultural precinct.
The refurbishment of our City’s new Cultural Centre will take place in two stages, which are expected to be completed in June 2024.
For all enquiries please call ☎ 02 6430 5850 or email 💻 email@example.com
Mayor Teeny Brumby - turning the sod for Burnie's new Cultural Centre